• Brittney Noell


Updated: Apr 1, 2021

It was around lunchtime on February 5th, 2020 that I started to feel some contractions. Which, funny story, was also my scheduled induction date and I was supposed to go into the hospital at 11:00pm. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for a few days so that is all I thought they were. For those who don’t know, Braxton Hicks contractions are “practice contractions." Your uterus is literally practicing for birth.

I was helping my husband go over lines for a job he had, which was helping me take my mind off the pain lol. We started timing my contractions and they were starting to get pretty close together, and it had almost been an hour. They say you should go to the hospital when they’re five minutes apart and have lasted for an hour.

We realized this might be it, so we got our stuff together and thought, “hmmmm, sushi sounds good right now, how about we get some first?” So we got in the car and started to head to our favorite sushi restaurant when my contractions hit 5 minutes apart and it had been over an hour. They were also getting much more intense. I was holding on to the handle on the car ceiling in the backseat with all my might lol. It was me, my husband, and our friend/my husband’s security guard Pepe in the car when we decided it was time to turn around and head to the hospital (I just wanted my sushi).

We got to the hospital I believe around 3:00pm. I was checked in to see if I was actually in labor, and it turns out I was. I was about 2cm dilated so they brought me to the labor and delivery room and got us all situated.

My contractions were increasing for a bit but at a certain point they came to a halt, and I wasn’t progressing like they wanted me to. They ended up giving me Pitocin, which is what they use to induce labor. They started it up slow and ended up increasing it quite a bit, which then I really started to feel it and I was in so much pain. I was actually throwing up while having my contractions because they were so strong with the Pitocin. Since Pitocin induces labor unnaturally, your contractions don’t have the regular “up then down” schedule like they would naturally. Instead, they go up and pretty much stay up. So I was not getting a break from the pain, and I ended up asking for an epidural. About 20-30 minutes later they gave me the epidural. At this time I believe it was about 2:30am February 6th. After about 10 minutes the epidural kicked in and I wasn’t nearly in as much pain.

Five minutes later, I started feeling some pain again. But this was a much different pain, it was a crazy amount of pressure on my pelvis that felt like the baby was trying to pop right out. That was the craziest feeling and I remember the exact moment that I felt it. I told the nurse and they said it was probably just normal pressure, but they checked me anyway. As soon as they checked she said “oh wow the baby’s head is right there.” I was fully dilated and my little man was ready to come out so they quickly pulled out the stirrups and had me practice pushing until the doctor got there (the doctor wasn’t there yet she was on call close by).

While practicing to push they actually told me to stop because he was VERY ready to come out and the doctor wasn’t there yet. So I felt like I needed to push, but I couldn’t which was not a good feeling whatsoever.

Finally my wonderful doctor got there and I started pushing. While pushing I was feeling so dizzy and lightheaded that I needed an oxygen mask. I was trying to push so hard and for so long that I would make myself feel like I was going to pass out, which in my head I am freaking out that I will pass out and either my baby is stuck or I miss him coming out lol. So anyways I push for about 20-30 minutes and out he comes! The most beautiful baby boy in the whole wide world.

I love my baby boy’s birth story and I wouldn’t change a thing. The pain is also SO worth it once you meet your beautiful little baby. They make you feel like you could do it all over again in a heartbeat!


5,560 views8 comments